I get it, change is hard. We get comfortable in our routine. Then something new and different comes along forcing us to change our ways. We may push back and say, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Or we could see the value and benefit that change can bring and embrace it.
“The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy the new cheese.”
– Spencer Johnson, M.D.
In part one of this two-part blog series, I’ll help you find and enjoy your new “cheese” in Windows 10. We’ll cover Microsoft Office later in part two. So, come along for the ride! But first, get rid of that old cheese. It’s starting to stink up in here!
Getting Started with Windows 10 – Your New Cheese
“Enjoy Change – Savor the adventure and enjoy the taste of new cheese.”
– Spencer Johnson, M.D.
New to Windows 10 and need a “Getting Started” guide? Want to learn the features so you can do more, better, faster? There are many useful features right at your fingertips waiting to be discovered. Go ahead. Find that cheese!
- First, check out the Windows Tips App built into Windows 10. Access it by typing “Tips” into your Windows Search box.
- Next, try pressing the Windows key + F1 key together on your keyboard. This handy keyboard shortcut pulls up the Windows 10 Help Page with great resources, such as:
- Getting started with Windows 10
- Getting started with Cortana
- Pin, remove, and customize in Quick access
Want more Windows 10 Tips & Tricks? Check these out at TheWindowsClub.com.
Searching for Help in Windows 10 – The Cheese Maze
Did you know your new computer comes with its own personal assistant to help you get things done, locate important information or files, and answer many of your computer questions? It actually comes with two assistants, each serving somewhat unique purposes. Meet “Cortana” and the Microsoft Virtual Support Agent.
“It’s safer to search the maze than to remain in a cheeseless situation.”
– Spencer Johnson, M.D.
Cortana is synonymous with the Windows Search feature, but she can do a lot more than just help you locate that important document or tell you where to find the best pizza. When you need help figuring out how to do something on your computer, just ask! She’ll quickly tell you how to complete certain tasks or she’ll locate relevant information on the web for you.
- Not sure how to take a screenshot of that error message to send to your IT Department? Ask Cortana.
- Want to customize your taskbar for convenient access to your frequently used apps? Cortana can help you with that.
- Need to know how to change the size of items displayed on your screen? Yep. Cortana.
There are a few quick and easy ways to access Cortana:
- Click the Windows Key on your screen or on your keyboard, then just then start typing your search.
- Click into the “Type here to search” box or click on the Cortana search icon on the left side of your taskbar.
- Say “Hey Cortana” (*if you’ve set up Cortana voice activation).
- On your keyboard, press Windows key + S key to pull up the search menu, then enter your search.
Tip: Don’t see the Cortana icon or Windows Search box on your taskbar? Click the Windows Key and enter this search phrase to learn how to add it: “windows 10 show cortana icon”.
Microsoft Virtual Support Agent
In addition to Cortana, you have convenient access to Microsoft’s interactive Virtual Support Agent. The Virtual Agent is an automated chat bot which interacts with computer-related questions you ask it. Perhaps the coolest feature, however, is that if you don’t get the answer you need right away you can reach a live Microsoft support person immediately via chat or phone.
You can access the Microsoft Virtual Support Agent by typing “Get Help” into Windows Search or through the Microsoft Support page at this link. I recommend pinning the Help app to your Start Menu or Taskbar for quick access. To do this, simply search for “Get Help” with Cortana, then right-click the “Get Help” app in Search results and select the option to pin it.
Most of us have grown accustomed to our way of doing things over the years, but every so often someone moves our cheese and we’re reluctant to go searching for it again. We can resist the winds of change for as long as possible or we can search out the benefits change can bring to find newer, better, and faster ways to do things.
Knowledge is power, but to obtain knowledge you must look for it. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and search for some new cheese. You may just discover a whole new delicious world out there!
Garner IT Can Help
Need help implementing Windows 10 into your organization? Garner IT Consulting has the experience and capability to design and implement the right solutions to help you garner your business goals! We won’t just “set it and forget it” or “plug and pray”. We’ll monitor your systems 24/7 from our Network Operations Center to keep them running at peak performance, support your staff in real-time with our Live Help Desk, and provide the strategic insights you need to make the best decisions concerning your IT investment. Give us a call at 850.250.3210 or stop by our offices at 1330 Harrison Ave, Panama City, FL 32401.
VP of Technology Services